Your living room is where your family spends most of its time – hosting game nights, movie sessions, and late-night talks. As a result, your cloth furniture likely experiences a fair degree of wear and tear. Though you may banish food from the couch and encourage everyone to take off their shoes, accidents can – and do – happen. Thankfully, a few simple steps can keep your living room furniture looking its best, no matter what stains come along.
Cloth Furniture Cleaning Basics
Cloth furniture is comfy, cozy, and ages beautifully. Like any other feature in your house, however, it can become dingy or stained over time. Following some basic furniture cleaning and care tips can help keep your couches bright and inviting for years to come.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Above all, check the directions that the manufacturer recommends for care and cleaning. Deviating from the recommendations could lead to damage and voiding the warranty.
- Spot clean any stains immediately with a clear, non-detergent soap and warm water. Apply to the stain and blot with a microfiber cloth, absorbing as much of it as possible. Be careful not to rub the stain further into the fabric, which could cause it to set in permanently.
- Vacuum your couch regularly. Vacuuming your couch with a handheld or appropriate attachment can help keep your couch free of loose dirt and other particles that could rub in and give it a dingy appearance.
- Treat stubborn stains with baking soda. If you’re trying to remove a spot that just won’t disappear, try baking soda. Form a paste of equal parts water and baking soda and apply directly to the stain. The baking soda should absorb the remaining parts of the spot so you can rinse the remaining paste off and wipe the spot clean.
- Use microfiber for spot cleaning. Microfiber cloths do not shed lint or transfer dye, so they are safe to use on your fabric sofa.
- Let your sofa air dry. When you are done spot treating, absorb any extra moisture with a cloth and let dry overnight, taking care to keep use of the furniture to a minimum. Awake to a fresh, clean living room couch!
Heritage House Furniture curates stunning collections of living room furniture that feature the highest level of craftsmanship and quality. We are also a proud seller of Amish-made furniture, custom made upon request.
Stop In Today
No matter your needs, Heritage House Furniture has the sofa, living room set, or entire room you need to furnish your home to your ultimate comfort. Browse our website, stop by our showroom at your earliest convenience, or contact us today for more information about our comprehensive selection of home furnishings.